St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church
Location: Main & Harrison Streets, Lagro. (Wabash County, Indiana)
Installed: 2000 Indiana Historical Bureau and Eugene and Anne Driscoll Family
ID# : 85.2000.1
Marker Review Report: Learn more here.
Congregation founded 1836, serving Irish who immigrated to area to work on construction of Wabash and Erie Canal, 1834-1837. Many Irish bought land and stayed as permanent residents using their religious and cultural interests to build Lagro, originally platted 1834, into a thriving trade center.
Church dedicated first building 1838; used for activities until razed in 1960s. This brick structure, built 1870-1873, designed in Victorian Gothic Style; original bell still in use. Brick made in Huntington and Lagro. Features include hand-carved altars and statues, stained glass windows, and oak and walnut curved stairway. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1999.
Religion, Immigration and Ethnic Groups, Buildings and Architecture, Business, Industry, and Labor